Monday 25 June 2012

That Mother ...

We've all seen that mother. The one looking unkempt and flustered, while their toddler is chucking a tantrum in the middle of the shopping centre. The one who pre-motherhood, I would look at and think to myself 'control your child'. The one who post-motherhood I now look at with understanding knowing too well my day would one day come! Well that day came on Saturday...

We had ventured to the shops to take advantage of all the sales. We didn't have Kingston with us, so when Rick had to leave early I decided to solider on without him. Clearly I wasn't thinking straight. But that's the beauty of hindsight, you see things a lot clearer! I thought how Cassius and Phoenix had been quite well behaved lately so why wouldnt I be able to shop with the three of them? Well I thought wrong. The demands were non stop - toys, playground, cake, food. Cassius went one way, Phoenix the other. Add to the mix my five week old baby! And why wasn't my serious voice working on them? That's right - we were in public! Eventually Cassius started throwing himself around when he wouldn't get his way, and realising the situation wasn't going to improve I decided to face reality and go home. The trouble was, the car was parked on the other side of the shopping centre. The walk to the car was one I will not forget. I decided to ignore the ever increasing demands of Cassius and he was not impressed. The screaming started, legs in the air, he was having a tantrum. I have never seen him like that, and was quite shocked at what I was seeing. It was not like the typical tantrums he has pulled in the past. He. Was. Going. Nuts. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Eventually, I just laughed. There really was no other option! I asked him what was so bad to be causing this behavior. He responded 'you are mean to me mum' and begged to stay at the shops instead of going home. I told him we can stay then, and made a very slow trip to the car with promises of toys later on.

To add insult to injury, we were almost at the car and I saw a top I liked. I thought I would quickly try it on over my top to check it would fit as I am still in denial about my weight gain. As I took the top off, I lifted off BOTH tops. There I was, standing in the middle of Myer, in my undergarments. What a day!

Yes, it was an eventful day, but I will now look on with a lot more empathy when I see that mother ...

Ps - The day wasn't all bad, we got home and Cassius and Phoenix were loving playing with McCaw as usual, and I had to sit back and smile. McCaw looks abit unusual in the first picture, but I just love the look on their faces! xx

 

3 comments:

  1. Great post sister - how brave you were and woe re the top! I love how you ended it with a Happy Ending :) Now don't fall for that false sense of security of their ongoing 'good behaviour' again lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha i know you already told me but i think the read is much funier lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this Darcel! Oh I remember those frazzled shopping mall days with my babies!

    ReplyDelete