Friday 4 May 2012

My Son the Thief ...

I was a bit hesitant at first as to whether I wanted to include this in my blog. My initial aim with blogging was to keep a record of my boys lives, and to keep it positive. Do I really want to read about the times they were driving me insane twenty years from now? Well maybe I do :)
Last week I had one of those moments as a parent where I really didn't know what to do. On picking up Cassius and Phoenix from daycare, Cassius asked if he could take one of the toys home. I told him no as he would be back the next day and he could play with it then. As we walked to their lockers to get their bags, Cassius was already waiting at the door with his bag on his bag and a huge grin on his face. Being in my own little world, I thought to myself 'isn't Cassius eager to go home?!'. Lucky for me, my little brother Morgan was with me and was a bit more clued on! He told Cassius to open his bag, to which Cassius replied a very stubborn No! Switching on, I told him in my 'mother voice' open your bag now, to which the screaming and tantrum started. So we forced it open - and there was the toy I had told him he wasn't allowed to take!! I was so shocked that he would deliberately disobey me - I didn't know whether to laugh or cry! I called Rick quickly as I was really unsure if I should let it pass as he is only 4, but hey if I don't teach him now that stealing is wrong, he'd grow up thinking nothing of it. Rick didn't answer, so I told Cassius he wouldn't be getting any McDonalds (huge punishment right?), and his Dad and I would be talking to him later. When Rick got home, he sat down with Cassius and tried to explain that we don't take things that are not ours. Let's hope the lesson was learnt :)

Looking back, it was actually quite funny, and no doubt one of many occasion where as a parent I have no clue what to do! But that's life I guess - you live and learn. And I am especially grateful I have Rick by my side during the journey.

On another note, our Phoenix is finally out of nappies! I thought he would be toilet trained a few months ago, but after a few accidents in his pants and cleaning up poo'd undies, I gave up and went back. But over the last week Rick especially has been talking to him everyday about being a big boy and sending him to the room/corner when he does a poo in his nappy. So i put him back in undies on Tuesday - and no accidents or nothing. I think he's doing so well out of fear of being sent to the corner! Oh well, if all else fails - take the fear approach right! True to form, even with his toilet goings Phoenix does things a little different - he has toilets he prefers and will only use my grandma's toilet at my mums house. I wouldn't expect it any other way! xx

Ps - this picture doesn't really have anything to do with this post, but it's just of the boys watching their dad mow the lawns yesterday. My boys really love their father, and when I think of my life and my marriage, I feel especially grateful that my boys have Rick as their Dad xx

No comments:

Post a Comment