Saturday 30 March 2013

Three Generations


Earlier this month we celebrated my mums 57th birthday. My mum doesn't get out much, not because she is restricted, she just prefers to be 'home'. We're a little different like that. Actually my mother and I are different in many ways, but I am grateful to have been raised by such a phenomenal woman.

I have had it said to me that I had an 'unrealistic' up-bringing. I had parents who loved each other dearly who I rarely saw have a disagreement. I had a mother who never complained, who supported and stood by my father in all his responsibilities, and who worked endlessly in 'building the kingdom'. I had a father who studied part-time for almost ten years to be properly qualified, worked security to support a family of four kids under four, and was the Bishop of the ward. Rick often says he is the hardest working man he knows. So maybe some would say that is 'unrealistic', but for me, that was the norm. We didn't have a perfect upbringing, we didn't have alot of money and being 'religious' can often invite the redicule of others. but I am grateful for the childhood I had and the role my mother played in that.

So for her birthday I decided to take her and grandma out for lunch. At one point when the waiter asked if we had enough bread, my mother and I looked at each other and said 'we're samoan?!?' My mother isn't much of a talker though, but my grandmother is. We sat there laughing and gossipping and my mum looked on rolling her eyes, telling us to 'be nice'. To those comments my grandmother said 'we need Nola!'. There was a moment there with my grandmother as we laughed and moved in towards each other that I really felt like I was being reunited with an old friend. And speaking of my grandmother, doesn't she look amazing. I hope I look as  good as her at her age! I love that about her, that she still always presents herself well. She is beginning to really show signs of her age though which is hard, but I know she misses my grandfather daily. He passed away when I was 8. They were serving a mission together at the Hamilton Temple and he had a heart attack. He was a great man. A kind man. I could see it as a child and I am reminded of it often. People never cease to tell my what a wonderful man he was. I look forward to being reunited with him x


No comments:

Post a Comment