Wednesday 28 November 2012

The Problem With Being a Realist

I consider myself a realist. I use to think that was a good thing, that my opinions of my children aren't overly bias and that although I love them dearly, I can readily admit what I think their strengths and weaknesses are.

But I was reminded on Sunday that being a realist isn't always a good thing.

My Cassius is very shy. Put him in a public setting and he goes all sorts of awkward. I know this. I joke about it. I'm realistic about it. So when it came to his sacrament presentation, where he would be required to stand up in front of a congregation of around 150 people, I was almost certain that he wouldn't do it. To the point where I told my cousins not to bother coming.

But my boy proved me wrong. I had read through the script so I knew his part was near the end. I waited anxiously and prayed that my boy would have the courage to do it. We had practiced time and time again but I wasn't confident. His time came and I could see the awkwardness all over his face, I could see the nerves creeping in. But he got on that pulpit, and blurted out his one line 'fasting'. I teared up and was so, so proud. I couldn't believe that he did it! I was so disappointed that every single member of my family wasn't there to see it!

So what's the problem with being a realist? I think in a way it expects people to fail, and it doesn't allow for the extraordinary. Which, quite simply, my children prove to be time and time again.

Maybe I'm not such a realist after all. But I'm ok with that. My husband reminds me that people often become what we expect of them.  So I should expect nothing less than the best from my boys!



Ps - How handsome does Cassius look in his tongan clothes! Rick also told me after that he had promised Cassius he would take him to Coris house if he said his line. I guess if all else fails, use bribery!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment